Search This Blog

Friday, April 3, 2015

Tippecanoe T27 RC Sailboat Build #7

Coating the hull

This step was not covered in the directions that came with the boat.  I have some West System 105 laying around and decided to seal the entire hull and deck with it.  I applied a coat with a brush, let it set for 24 hours, and wet-sanded it smooth.  This was repeated for 3 coats on the bottom (just one coat on the deck since it would be varnished).  

I believe the epoxy that Tippecanoe provided is also West System.  This is high quality epoxy and is very easy to work with.  It does dry rock hard so sanding is a pain.  Wet sanding with 220 then 400 for the final coat is recommended.  

Later on, the deck received 4 coats of Epifanes Marine Varnish - another high quality product that I highly recommend.  It flows nicely and I wet-sanded with 400 grit between each coat (24 drying time between each coat).  The last coat was not wet sanded.  


No comments:

Post a Comment