Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Rhodes Kingfisher - a new boat is added to the fleet.

Last weekend, I saw an index card on the bulletin board at the Massabesic Yacht Club for a free sailing dinghy.  Since I am always looking for a new project (like I have nothing else to do), I called the number and it was still available.  Within 24 hours, I had it home.

I had no idea what it was.  There was no number plates, or even a logo on the sail.  It was complete with rudder, centerboard, mast, boom, sails (jib and main) and all rigging.  Missing was the mainsheet but other than that it was complete.

I spent several hours scouring the Internet looking for something close, and stumbled upon pictures of a Rhodes Kingfisher.  I measured the LOA and beam and it matched the specifications for the Kingfisher as did the mast, boom, and mainsail measurements.  

Some work that will be required:

1.  The lifting eye on the bow was loose, and some surgery revealed that the wood behind it was long since rotted away.  I cut that out (see photo below) and am filling it with thickened epoxy and a starboard backer plate.  

2.  The entire hull will need to be painted.  But I already have Interlux 2000 on hand so that will seal it and paint it white and it should be good to go.

3.  The rudder pintles were attached to a piece of wood that was rotted.  I removed it and will be replacing it with a delrin board (similar to starboard or even a cutting board).  

4.  I'll need new halyards, a traveller line, and mainsheet.  Fortunately, my vast collection of line I've accumulated has exactly what I need so no cost there.  

5.  I'm going to build a dolly out of PVC pipe so I can transport it using my utility trailer.  




No comments:

Post a Comment